You don’t need iTunes for this column. Here are sermons and Bible classes led by Bob Mendelsohn, national director of Jews for Jesus Australia, and some talks by other Jewish believers which you might find helpful.
Older Testament Books:
Book of Genesis
Studies from the Book of Genesis.
Selections from 2001-2002 given at Beth Messiah Congregation (Sydney)
- The purpose of temptation Genesis 3.15
- Noah found grace Genesis 7
- Off the Boat Genesis 9
- Pre-Abrahamic World History Genesis 12
- Falling Away (A study in Lot) Genesis 14
- Covenants Genesis 16
- Generations of Isaac Genesis 28
- Leah and Rachel Genesis 30
- Jacob and Laban Genesis 32
- The rape of Dinah Genesis 37
- Joseph: Guarded Passion or Sex not in the City. Genesis 39
Book of Exodus
- Exodus 1: Joseph’s legacy: Taskmasters and God notices.
- Exodus 2: God listens and the deliverer delivered.
- Exodus 3: God’s call and Moses’ excuses (part 1).
- Exodus 4: What’s in a name? (part 2).
- Exodus 5: When it goes from bad to worse.
- Exodus 6: God will remember.
- Exodus 7: Hard heartedness.
- Exodus 8: Plagues: they keep on coming.
- Exodus 9: Compromise, not a good idea.
- Exodus 10: Negotiation and three more plagues.
- Exodus 11-12: 10th Plague, The Exodus!
- Exodus 13: “That everyone may experience God’s Plans”.
- Exodus 14: “Red Sea Dramas”.
- Exodus 15: “The song of Moses”
- Exodus 16: God provides: Bread and Water…and Sabbath
- Exodus 17: Arms lifted and Massah testing
- Exodus 18: A system of courts and family matters
- Exodus 19: Meeting at Mt. Sinai
- Exodus 20: Ten Commandments
- Exodus 21: Protection of the innocent
- Exodus 22: Stealing is a lose/lose proposition
- Exodus 23: Working out daily justice.
- Exodus 24: Mediator of a covenant.
- Exodus 25: God dwells with us.
- Exodus 26-27: Of dimensions, altars and lamps.
- Exodus 28: The clothes make the priest.
- Exodus 29: Ordained and Food.
- Exodus 30: Of altars and taxes and lavers.
- Exodus 31: Chosen Artists and Days.
- Exodus 32: The Golden Calf.
- Exodus 33: Absence does not make the heart grow fonder.
- Exodus 34: The face of Moses shone.
- Exodus 35-36-37: Building together in God’s plans.
- Exodus 38-39-40: 3 parts: 1) An altar to alter your life. 2) As the Lord commanded Moses: A study in obedience. and 3) Completion: A job well done.
Book of Leviticus
Studies in the Book of Leviticus taught in 2011 by Bob Mendelsohn.
- Holocaust: The whole burnt offering (Chapter 1). Sacrifice 1
- Sacrifices: Drawing near to God (Chapters 2-7). Sacrifice 2
- Priests: Mediators of God (Chapters 8-10). “Priesting”
- What is kosher? (Chapters 11-12). Kosher?
- Y’shua, the Great Physician (Chapters 13-15). Sickness, isolation and the Saviour
- What is required for forgiveness?(Chapters 16-17). Yom Kippur
- Holy people do holy things. Sex in the Desert
- The Holiness Code (Chapters 20-22). The Holiness Code
- The sacred calendar (Chapter 23) Part I. Springtime feasts
- The sacred calendar (Chapter 23) Part II. Autumn Festivals
- Warnings (Chapter 26). The Final Warnings and Assurance
The Life of David
The Life of David.
- Man of God’s choice (Introduction) Genealogy
- Man of War David vs Goliath
- Men of Passion (2 Samuel 13) Amnon and Tamar, (2 Sam 11) David and Bathsheba
- Man of Loyalty David and Saul
- Man of Covenant David and Nathan (2 Sam 7), David and Jonathan (1 Samuel 18)
- Man of Music and Poetry (Part 1) Psalm 89 (covenant), Psalm 32 (forgiveness)
- Man of Music and Poetry (Part 2) Matthew 12, 1 Samuel 21 (Eating grain), Psalm 2, 16, 22, 110
Book of Proverbs
Studies in the Book of Proverbs Bible Class studies These took place from 2007-2008.
- Beginning of Wisdom Proverbs 1
- Guarded by wisdom Proverbs 2
- Security in a fallen world Proverbs 3
- Progressive Righteousness: We’re getting better Proverbs 4
- Sex at home: Drink from your own cistern Proverbs 5
- Six things God hates Proverbs 6 (Part 1)
- Consequences of Adultery Proverbs 6b-chapter 7
- The cost of deception Proverbs 9
- Gambling and other evils Proverbs 10
- Good government and a good life Proverbs 11
- The righteous will survive and succeed Proverbs 12
- Making money the old fashioned way Proverbs 13
- Way leads on to way: Choices we make Proverbs 14
- What’s inside your house: Vote God in! Proverbs 15
- Decisions: How to choose [with slight audio problems) Proverbs 16
- Keeping your mouth closed Proverbs 17
- Death and Life are in the Power of the Tongue Proverbs 18
- Contrasts and getting to the living side of Life: Discipline in daily living Proverbs 19
- Consequences of Our Living Proverbs 20
- Walking in the Way Proverbs 21
- How we live out what we personally believe Proverbs 22
- The Eleven Commandments Proverbs 23
- How to be rich Proverbs 24
- An Old Man’s Wisdom Proverbs 25
- Seven Men to Avoid Proverbs 26
- What’s in your future? Proverbs 27
- You can run, but you can’t hide Proverbs 28
- A summary of the Book of Proverbs (A Deuteronomic perspective on Proverbs) Proverbs 29
- Who is the Son of God? Proverbs 30
- Look what I found! A mother’s advise Proverbs 31
Book of Isaiah
- Chapter 1: The rabble and the repentant.
- Chapter 2: Come, let us go up!
- Chapter 3-4: Salvation in the midst of hopelessness.
- Chapter 5: Looking for grapes.
- Chapter 6: The prophet’s vision and humility.
- Chapter 7: A virgin will have a baby!
- Chapter 8: The sign to come.
- Chapter 9: A child is born.
- Chapter 10: Assyrian invasion.
- Chapter 11: The spirits of the Lord.
- Chapter 12: With joy we draw water.
- Chapter 13: The Day of the Lord for Babylon.
- Chapter 14: God has compassion on Jacob.
- Chapter 15-16: The Kingdom of Moab in Trouble.
- Chapter 17-19a: Will Egypt learn her lesson?
- Chapter 19b-20: Hope for Egypt.
- Chapter 21-22: More oracles: Babylon, Edom, Saudi Arabia.
- Chapter 23: God against Lebanon.
- Chapter 24-25: God: Judge of enemies, Preserver of Israel.
- Chapter 26-27: The mind at perfect peace.
- Chapter 28-29: The futility of self-reliance.
- Chapter 30-31: HELP, I need somebody, not just anybody: In returning and rest shall you be saved.
- Chapter 32-33: Glorious Future for Israel.
- Chapter 34-35: Zion’s enemies destroyed and the exaltation of Zion.
- Chapter 36-37: Hezekiah Part 1: Trust in the Lord!
- Chapter 38-39: Hezekiah Part 2: Illness and repentance.
- Chapter 40: Comfort from the Lord.
- Chapter 41: God’s love for the coastlands.
- Chapter 42: The servants of the Lord.
- Chapter 43: Do not fear, for I am with you.
- Chapter 44: What’s in your mind?
- Chapter 45: Turn to me…there is no other!
- Chapter 46-47: Cyrus: God’s man 150 years from now.
- Chapter 48: Let’s get out of Babylon.
- Chapter 49: The mission of God’s Servant.
- Chapter 50: The Tongue of Disciples.
- Chapter 51: Looking backwards to go forward correctly.
- Chapter 52: God’s Servant calls us to listen.
- Chapter 53: The Servant of the Lord: Who is he?
- Chapter 54: Israel Restored.
- Chapter 55: What really matters.
- Chapter 56: Can a Gentile be saved?
- Chapter 57: There is no peace for the wicked.
- Chapter 58: God’s Chosen Fast.
- Chapter 59: Our sins separate us from God.
- Chapter 60: His glory will appear upon you.
- Chapter 61: Who is receiving the Spirit?
- Chapter 62: For Zion’s sake.
- Chapter 63: Who is this Savior?
- Chapter 64: Filthy righteousness?
- Chapter 65: What is (not) Good?
- Chapter 66: New things.
A collection of The Twelve: The Later
The Minor Prophets.
- Israel is compared to a prostitute (Hosea 1)
- Who are God’s people? (Hosea 2)
- Gomer [Israel] loved, can return yet Israel indicted (Hosea 3-4)
- Indictment of Israel [kings, priests and people] for our sins (Hosea 5-6)
- Bad government: both domestic and international policies (Hosea 7)
- Warning of judgment to come (Hosea 8)
- Captivity is around the corner (Hosea 9)
- Sin, punishment and captivity (Hosea 10)
- Valentines Day and the grace of God (Hosea 11)
- O Death, where is your sting? (Hosea 12-13)
- Return to the Lord (Hosea 14)
- Amos: “The Lion Roars”
- Part 1: I’ve had it up to here (Chapter 1.1-2.5)
- Part 2: Seek God and you will live (Chapter 2:6-chapter 5)
- Part 3: The Day of the Lord: Watch out! (Chapters 5-6)
- Part 4: Audio-visual judgments and visions (chapters 7-9)
- Part 5: God’s final restoration of Israel (chapter 9)
- “Legal charges against Edom and Islam” (Recovery, Restoration, and Royal Reign)
- Disobedient Prophet (Jonah 1)
- Desperate Prayer and Dutiful Preacher (Jonah 2-3)
- Despondent Prejudiced Person (Jonah 4)
- Part 1: Judgment on Israel and Judah; A Remnant Restored
- Part 2: Indictment of the leadership: Future Hope
- Part 3: Indictment of the people: God Triumphs
- 1-2a: Judgment coming
- 2b-3: Restoration of the people of God
- The earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord.
(“Everything old is new again”. You may want to read or watch this sermon which was referenced in Bob’s teaching on Revelation 12)
- Seek the Lord; He will sing over you.
- Your house or God’s house? God is going to shake us down
- (by Paul Cohen)
- Part 1: Election of Israel; Sacrilege of the Priests
- Part 2: Failures of the priests in service and message
- Part 3: The people resist God
- Part 4: The Promise of Restoration and The Promised One
- Nineveh going down
Book of Jonah
Book of Ecclesiastes
Book of Ecclesiastes.
- Chapter 1: God’s plans are always right.
- Chapter 2: Thorns in your sides.
- Chapter 3: Three judges and a fat man.
- Chapter 4: Into the hands of a woman.
- Chapter 5: The song of Deborah.
- Chapter 6: Gideon, Mighty Warrior?
- Chapter 7: Gideon: Conqueror for now (Gideon Part 2)
- Chapter 8: Finishing well? Gideon, the compromiser (Gideon Part 3)
- Chapter 9: A sinful son and choosing the right team.
- Chapter 10: When God gets fed up with us!
- Chapter 11: The judge Jephthah and his daughter.
- Chapter 12: Shibboleth.
- Chapter 13-14: Samson. A light in the darkness. Part I
- Chapter 15-16: Samson. Part II.
- Chapter 17-18: How Dan got up north, Micah and the silver idols.
- Chapter 19: A certain Levite and his concubine.
- Chapter 20: All Israel as one?
- Chapter 21: The final chapter: Final lessons
Newer Testament Books:
Foundation Series (The arch-logos) given in 2018
Gospel of Matthew
- Matthew 1. The genealogy of the Messiah.
- Matthew 2. The birth (and infancy) of the King.
- Matthew 3. The messiah and baptism.
- Matthew 4. Temptations of the king.
- Matthew 5. The New Lawgiver (Part 1).
- Matthew 6: Be perfect, but be careful.
- Matthew 7. Two ways to judge and two ways to do everything!
- Matthew 8. Power Encounters: Part I
- Matthew 9: Power Encounters: Part II.
- Matthew 10: The King’s first missionaries.
- Matthew 11: Consider the King (Part 1).
- Matthew 12: Consider the King (Part 2).
- Matthew 13: Stories of the Kingdom.
- Matthew 14: Reactions to the King.
- Matthew 15: Traditions and Feeding 4,000.
- Matthew 16: Who is the Son of Man?
- Matthew 17: Kingdom transfiguration.
- Matthew 18: Forgiveness and Greatness.
- Matthew 19: Family Matters.
- Matthew 20: The God of grace.
- Matthew 21: Replacement and the fig tree.
- Matthew 22: The other four questions.
- Matthew 23: The 8-fold Woes: A reflection of the Beatitudes.
- Matthew 24: It’s going to get worse.
- Matthew 25: People, get ready.
- Matthew 26: Yeshua’s final week.
- Matthew 27: Crucified King.
- Matthew 28: Resurrected King.
Gospel of Mark
Studies from the Gospel of Mark.
- Who is JT Baptist? (Mark 1)
- Everyone is looking for You (Mark 1b)
- Healing a leper (Mark 1c)
- Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2b)
- Healing a crippled man (Mark 3a)
- Who are my brothers and mother? (Mark 3b)
- Preaching in parables (Mark 4a)
- Calming the sea (Mark 4b)
- Dealing with demons (Mark 5a)
- Healings (Mark 5b)
- Sending the 12 (Mark 6a)
- Walking on Water (Mark 6b)
- Gentiles for Jesus (Mark 7)
- Feeding hungry people (Mark 8)
- Tabernacles for Three (Mark 9a)
- Shepherd and his sheep: Who is not against us is for us (Mark 9b)
- Marriage and Divorce (Mark 10a)
- What do you want Me to do for you? (Mark 10b)
- Triumphal Entry (Mark 11a)
- David’s Greater Son (Mark 11b-12)
- Be on the alert: Last Days (Mark 13)
- Passover and Peter’s denials (Mark 14)
- Crucifixion and Burial (Mark 15)
- Resurrection to new life (Mark 16)
Gospel of John
Studies from the Gospel of John.
- 1a. Prologue: What’s it all about?
- 1b: John the Baptist vs Jesus, and Chapter 2: Jesus brings life to a wedding
- Chapter 3: Jesus brings life to a rabbi
- Chapter 4: Jesus brings life to a Bad Samaritan and she is the first missionary
- John chapter 5: Jesus brings life to a paralytic and a boy, and claims to be G-d
- John 6: Jesus and the Bread of Life
- John 7: Tabernacles and the Water of Life
- John 8: Forgiveness and the Truth set us free to enjoy life
- John 9: The light of life on Tabernacles
- John 10: The Good Shepherd came to give you abundant life
- John 11: The resurrection and the life
- John 12: He who hates his life will keep it to eternal life
- John 13: Passover and Choices
- John 14: Jesus said, “I am the Life.” I am …the Life
- John 15: Abide in life in the Spirit
- John 16: The Spirit of Life is coming
- John 17: Eternal life is knowing Yeshua
- John 18: Everyone of the truth hears my voice
- John 19: It is finished: The death of the Life
- John 20: Raised to new life
- John 21: Restoration to new life
Book of Acts
Studies in the Book of Acts taught in 2009 by Bob Mendelsohn.
- Beginning of the Community of Faith Acts 2
- God through the apostles: Healing of a Lame Man Acts 3
- The Council and Peter/ Stop preaching in that name! Acts 4
- Discipline in the new Messianic Jewish community Acts 5
- Problems and solutions and introduction of Stephen Acts 6
- The sermon and stoning of Stephen Acts 7
- Saul ravaging the mobilized community– Samaria receives the Word of God Acts 8
- Saul to Paul: A Jew for Jesus story Acts 9
- There goes the neighbourhood: Gentiles for Jesus Acts 10
- Defending himself: Peter on trial…again Acts 11
- Prayer that works Acts 12
- Paul: First journey and first sermon Acts 13
- Paul: Stoning and death in Lystra Acts 14
- Should Gentiles keep the Law of Moses? The Council in Jerusalem Acts 15
- A veritable “Who’s Who” in the church of Philippi: The Gospel goes to Europe Acts 16
- Holy arguments: Talking the language of the other (Berea, Thessalonica, Athens) Acts 17
- Conversions of synagogue leaders and Apollos joins in Acts 18
- Finding ‘almost’ converts and confusion settled Acts 19
- Sleepy disciple healed and elders’ tears in Ephesus Acts 20
- Should Jewish believers keep the Law? Paul and the vow Acts 21
- Paul makes his case in Jerusalem Acts 22
- Divided Sanhedrin and the plot to kill Paul Acts 23
- Paul in front of Felix Acts 24
- Agrippa and Bernice arrive Acts 25
- Paul shares his testimony…again. Agrippa, almost persuaded Acts 26
- Ahoy matey, a mariner’s journal Acts 27
- Paul: From Malta to Rome, and beyond? Acts 28
Epistle of 1 Corinthians
The Epistle of 1 Corinthians by Bob Mendelsohn (2011-2012).
- Who are the Corinthians (Chapter 1). Get it right.
- Wisdom from above (Chapter 2). Not philosophy.
- Not many are fathers (Chapter 4). Apostleship.
- Sex in the church (Chapter 5). What to do with sinners.
- Bought with a price (Chapter 6). Wrong judgments.
- Marriage and virgins (Chapter 7). Marriages that work.
- Dealing with questionable things (Chapter 8). Idolatry.
- Reaping from your own sowing (Chapter 9). Don’t muzzle the ox.
- Biblical Examples (Chapter 10). Flee Idolatry.
- Traditions Received (Chapter 11). Hair and Communion.
- Spiritual Gifts [Part I] (Chapter 12). Gifts that Serve Others.
- It’s all about love (Chapter 13). Putting gifts in perspective.
- Serving one another (Chapter 14). Using spiritual gifts.
- Mechaye meitim (Chapter 15). Resurrection of the Dead.
- Chapter 16. Final thoughts and farewells.
Book of Ephesians
Book of Hebrews
Bob taught on the book of Hebrews.
- Yeshua, God’s Final Word to humanity (Hebrews 1)
- Yeshua, Better than angels (Hebrews 2)
- Encourage one another, while it’s still today (Hebrews 4)
- The King/ Priest (incl Psalm 2, Psalm 110) (Hebrews 5)
- Foundational Truths (Hebrews 6a)
- Can a saint lose his salvation? (Hebrews 6b)
- Who is Melchizedek? (Hebrews 7)
- Old Covenant/ Tabernacle Part 1 (Hebrews 8)
- The Covenants/ Tabernacle Part 2 (Hebrews 9)
- Covenants: Old and New (Hebrews 10)
- The Hall of Faith (Part 1) (Hebrews 11a)
- The Hall of Faith (Part 2) (Hebrews 11b)
- Discipline (Hebrews 12)
- Farewells and good reminders (Hebrews 13)
Book of the Revelation
Book of the Revelation.
- Write it down – Revelation 1
- What is God saying to you? – Revelation 2
- What’s in a name? – Revelation 3
- There’s no place like home – Revelation 4
- Kingdom and Priests – Revelation 5
- Tyranny and Judgment – Revelation 6
- Who are the 144,000 – Revelation 7
- Praise or complaints – Revelation 8
- Out of the pit – Revelation 9
- Two witnesses and US – Chapter 10-11.
- Jewish overcomers – Chapter 12. (“Everything old is new again”. You may want to read or watch this sermon which was referenced in Bob’s teaching on Revelation 12)
- 666: The Devil’s number – Chapter 13.
- Angels and 144,000 – Chapter 14.
- The song of Moses and the song of the Lamb (Chapter 15) / Armageddon and hailstones – (Chapter 16).
- Mother of harlots- Chapter 17
- The end of Babylon – Chapter 18
- The victorious warrior – Chapter 19
- Millennium and judgments – Chapter 20
- New Jerusalem descending – Chapter 21
- The wait is over…the end has come – Chapter 22
- “The sure coming of Messiah” given at Springwood Church of Christ, 29 Nov. 2015, Brisbane, QLD
CURRENT SERIES (2018)
The biography of Yeshua written by Luke
The biography of Yeshua written by Luke
- Chapter 1. Two births and the women.
- Chapter 2. Yeshua’s birth and boyhood.
- Chapter 3. Whose child is this?
- Chapter 4. Temptations and the Power of the Spirit and the Word.
- Chapter 5. Confrontations
- Chapter 6. Who or what are the new wineskins?
- Chapter 7. More miracles of Yeshua
- Chapter 8. Responding to Yeshua
- Chapter 9. Who is this man?
- Chapter 10. Good Samaritan and other cities respond.
- Chapter 11. See and hear the Message, and then…
- Chapter 12. It’s “The Father’s good pleasure”
- Chapter 13. Unless you repent
- Chapter 14. Behaviour at parties
- Chapter 15. The Prodigal Father
- Chapter 16. Use riches cleverly
- Chapter 17. Messianic troubles
- Chapter 18. Does prayer work?
- Chapter 19. The day of your visitation.
- Chapter 20. Entrapments and Explanations.
- Chapter 21. Preparing for the End Times.
- Chapter 22.
- Chapter 23. The grace that oozes.
- Chapter 24. The Risen One exposed!
General Study Series:
Lessons from the book of Tim Keller
A series on Apologetics. Studying The Reason for God by Timothy Keller, taught in 2011.
- How can one religion be right among so many? Chapter 1
- Why is there so much suffering, if God is so good? Chapter 2
- Christians are such hypocrites; why would I believe like them? Chapter 4
- Why would a loving God send anyone to hell? Chapter 5
- Are science and miracles mutually exclusive? Creation vs evolution pops up, too Chapter 6
- How can anyone take the Bible literally? Chapter 7
- Some clues (not proofs) about God Part 2
Paul Cohen, Bible Teacher and JFJ helper for many years.
- Paul Cohen on Abraham Part 2
- You may want to use his study guide along with the Bible class on Abraham.
Tabernacle (delivered May/June 2009).
Mark Landrum, staff worker
- Mark Landrum spoke on Messianic prophecy on Mark’s mp3
- Mark on Lamentations Chapter 3
- Mark on the Virgin Birth
- Mark on Isaiah chapter 11
- Mark on Forgiveness here
- Mark on Psalm 16
- Mark on Psalm 22
- Mark on The Feast of Tabernacles
- Mark on Esther
- Mark on The Feast of Simchat Torah (during Tabernacles)
- Mark on Messiah as found in Micah chapter 5
- Mark on Malachi “You Broke Covenant and the Lord is wearied”.